Friday, June 25, 2010

Port is in

Port is in. More of a surgery than I thought it would be. Still nausea after surgery, but I get nauseous easily. Same hospital they did the lumpectomy in, I know the routine now.

Dr. R is the doctor we all pray that we get. She is calm, and knows what she is doing. You get the feeling that the most important thing in the world to her is that you are healed. Answers questions calmly, and then moves on to the surgery. The anesthesiologist was good too, can't remember his name. Again, exuded compassion efficiently.

I had a "really great" vein in the underside of my right arm, just above my elbow. That's where the port is, under the skin. It feeds into a thin tube that travels the vein up to my vena cava. This lets the nurse hook up my chemo into the rubber disk near my elbow (it is under the skin so they still need to punch through the skin), so the chemo doesn't ruin my vein. Lets the chemo get diluted by blood as soon as it enters my body. Good idea. Keep as much of me healthy as possible.

This location though really is bothersome. As I swing my arms, it touches the side of my body. Long sleeve shirts bother it. Just annoying. But now it is swollen and tender. I am told it will get to where I don't know it is there.

I'm waiting....