Sunday, November 14, 2010

Nothing in my hand I bring


Friday night, L showed us a print that represented the main idea, to her, in the Book of Romans. The concept of  God's gift of salvation, we don't have to earn it or pay for it, is so freeing.

Think on that, how free we are that God has done the work. I simply need to turn towards Him. 

Here's the words she said meant so much to her, a minister from one of her past churches said this before each sermon.

       Nothing in my hand I bring, 
          simply to the cross I cling 
 
They are from the third verse of the old hymn (written by Augustus Toplady in 1775) called Rock of Ages. You can listen to it.  Most of us know the tune.  

So two hundred years ago people understood that Jesus came so we could be free. Two thousand years ago people got the message also. Not everyone, some of them.   Oh, thank you thank you that I get it now...

Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee;
Let the water and the blood,
From Thy riven side which flowed,
Be of sin the double cure,
Save me from its guilt and power.

Not the labor of my hands
Can fulfill Thy law's demands;
Could my zeal no respite know,
Could my tears forever flow,
All could never sin erase,
Thou must save, and save by grace.

Nothing in my hands I bring,
Simply to Thy cross I cling;
Naked, come to Thee for dress,
Helpless, look to Thee for grace:
Foul, I to the fountain fly,
Wash me, Savior, or I die.

While I draw this fleeting breath,
When mine eyes shall close in death,
When I soar to worlds unknown,
See Thee on Thy judgment throne,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee.