Monday, December 27, 2010

Radiation Tips

I wrote out Chemo tips, so thought as I am at the finish line of radiation I would summarize my tips to someone starting out in radiation.

1. Buy a larger, soft bra. You will swell slightly. And while you are at it, buy two Barely There Sports bras in one size larger, with no under wire and nothing rubbing you at all. I started wearing them at the half way point. By the last week, I went without a bra. By necessity.  Yes I did.

2. Ask what cream you can use to keep the skin as healthy as possible. The first week my skin burned and the breast swelled up so much they were a little concerned. I started putting on Lavender Oil, followed by Aloe, and it stayed under control. The last week they told me they were really surprised I did as well as I did, considering I was so red and swollen the first week. Lavender Oil, pure, just rub it on the whole radiation area. It absorbs right away. I bought four aloe plants, and cut off two inches each application, cut the sides of them (prickly) and rubbed the aloe right onto my skin. The doctor also suggested Aquaphor immediately after each treatment, which I did a handful of times. Remember, nothing four hours before a treatment.

3. You will be tired probably, it builds up. I started getting tired the fourth week, only Friday and the weekends. So you nap, not difficult to figure out. You do need to plan for it, realize your body is telling you it needs sleep. I would see friends at lunch, do errands then come home and nap. It is not sleepy, it is your body having little energy.

4. Radiation's effects are delayed, so you will be tired weeks past the last treatment.

5. While you are getting treatment, which is only minutes long, visualize the radiation killing the cancer cells.  Visualize your lungs and heart and nerves and bones shielded from harm. This is one of the tools to fight the cancer that was in you, and it is powerful stuff. It will work. It has worked for thousands in the past, and it will work for you.

6. Bring Joy into your life. Set yourself up to succeed. You will.
Truly, radiation is showing up to the appointments, and a little discomfort of your breast. Very do-able.