Friday, May 28, 2010

Lumpectomy

Surgery was Tuesday, three days ago. I have pretty much slept through the last three days. I don't remember much.  That's okay.  I remember the nausea after surgery, which passed by the next day, but was horrible.

I also remember the process of getting the dye injected into my breast before surgery, so the dye could travel to that infamous Sentinel Node. It was uncomfortable lying on the cold table, in a cold room. They inject radioactive dye into the area of the tumor, so it will naturally travel to the closest node. The surgeon then takes that node out, they look at it to see if it has cancerous cells in it. Mine did. They didn't think it would, but it did. So they took out more lymph nodes.  About a baseball size of them, a good handful.

Surgeon Dr. R was fantastic. She came in to Mike and I first, talked over the surgery thoroughly in the pre-operation area at Florida Hospital Altamonte.  Mike sat next to me while waiting, exploring the IPAD.  J stopped in, welcomed break. He's got such a big heart. How wonderful love is.

I have drains safety pinned to my bra. Huge amounts of gauze are taped under my left arm and over my left breast. I don't want to look under them, at least not yet.  Don't want to move that area either.

Mack and Tray, the newlyweds, are here visiting. So good to have them here. Kindness and hope and future and light. And love.

Went out to lunch then got my hair cut and washed. GL had some advice....

Be thankful always

Be thankful I got cancer

Learn lessons

Let others do things for you

I am important

I can have it my way

Tell people what you need

Tell people what you want

Slow down

I have been in survival mode. I haven't been deep thinking much lately, and that is okay.  This morning I thought, God's got some things to change in me and I haven't been paying attention..... I don't want to miss the lessons. I want my character chiseled. God is very efficient. He didn't cause cancer, but He will use this for His glory.

I had been complaining... Why is life so hard..

Ha!

And when will it be time for Mike and I to rest...

Double ha ha...

Well be careful what you ask for, you might just get it!I have great friends, a loving family, all the things I could ever want. Why was I complaining?

I am a bit numb... I keep thinking this cancer is totally beatable, but
now it's in at least one node...wow! Yes they found it in at least one node, and we will hear more whenever. Am I wrong to not be scared? Should I take this more seriously? Should we change our lives?

I think its good to be a bit numb. God only lets you feel the emotions you should feel at any given time.

Ate at Cafe 118, raw organic vegan. Here's a photo of spaghetti and meatballs (raw zucchini tendrils, uncooked tomato sauce, meatballs of mushrooms and seeds dehydrated.) And those are basil, vegan mozzarella and tomato roll ups in the foreground. I liked it. You just feel so darned healthy when you are finished.
--

“Be still, and know that I am God”
Psalm 46:10