Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Memories of Six Chemos


A week later.

At this moment in time, the minutes and events of the past week are memories. YEAH!

As I opened my eyes this morning, once again every cell in my body was shouting out, We're happy! They were all wiggling and smiling, like a bunch of kids crowding home plate to high five the guy who just hit a game-winning grand slam. Everyone's crowded together, jumping up and down, just can't contain their joy.

Every chemo of this series of six will be remembered by me for something. As of this moment right now, here's my memories.


The first was all new, I was trying so hard to be brave and strong and do it all right. Mike and I clung together, you all showered us with gifts and food and flowers and words of encouragement and prayers. I didn't know what my future would be. I was trying so hard, I hadn't learned that God was totally in control. I was scared, but you know, I was brave.



The second and third blend together. They were tough times. I knew how I would feel, I was in the middle of it all, had a sinus infection.  Had a second biopsy after number three. Ouch! Just when you think you have the faith thing down, more gets thrown at you. Now I get it, but going through it is tough. I was carried through by Mike, S, family, friends, you visited, you called, you ate with me, walked with me, lifted me up, laughed with me, hugged me. Literally carried me through.



Fourth I was surrounded by family. Mike, Mack, Tray, Corey. Needed that. I knew Jesus was there, but I needed to have love right there in the room, in cellular form. That I could touch and hold.  Vivid photographs in my mind of that weekend.



Fifth was the worst I think. Hardest physically. My body was weak. Everyone chipped in and helped. I thought I was done with chemo, really thought it. A flamboyance of flamingos. Yes, that is true. I adore, simply adore collective nouns, and isn't that a great one?  Does anyone remember Ruth Heller's picture book on collective nouns out about twenty five years ago?



Now the sixth chemo, Mike and S watched about thirty hours of the television series The Tudors with me over a four day period. It is finally the glorious fall weather we all perch on the edge of our lawn chairs waiting for in Florida, but I wanted to be a couch toad and watch the Tudors series. So they did too.

We ate red velvet cake and beef tenderloin and pasta and shells and black beans and pecan pie and lemon pie. Black licorice and almonds. And chicken soup and chicken soup and oatmeal cookies and pears and chicken soup. They exercised in the mornings while I was still asleep or was doing a guided meditation, or napping. They walked and jogged all around Winter Park. Came back with stories (saw five peacocks, twenty five percent of the people are texting or using their cell phones while driving on Aloma, there was a fashion show in downtown Winter Park, fifteen percent are texting while driving on Aloma, there's a new head of South Korea, what was the season finale on Mad Men?)

One week later, I will never have chemo again. PHEW. All the cells in my body are happy, jumping up and down for joy. They are giggly happy. All the cancer that might have been hiding anywhere in my body has been zapped like a green piggy on Angry Birds.

Now is time to return to healthy.... ramp up for radiation...  I have my planning session with the radiologist Dr. S tomorrow.

By the grace of God we are healed.