Thursday, November 11, 2010

Finish Strong

Some wonderful conversations this week.

A handful of women, who didn't all know each other at first, together for lunch  (one to two hours.) All interested in encouraging and uplifting. All are "its not about me" women. Surrounding yourself with friends who nurture the good in you is so important. I like that! Then we all left, off to work, to China, to visit Dad, to nap, to grocery shop, to acupuncture, to exercise ... each to her own.

Here's a FINISH STRONG bracelet lent to me to wear for my first radiation. Pink pearls from the first chemo time, diamond bangle from wedding days in March, and Finish Strong for now, when I need it!

B commented about how she didn't know what to say to comfort a person who has just suffered a loss. I have been thinking about that. We don't often know the perfect words to say. The Spirit might give them to us, or does it really have to be the perfect words. I think the feeling of love is important. But really it is showing up that counts. The gift of being present. Just being with them, trusting that they will get from your actions and words that you love them and care for them. Realizing it is not about you but about them, loving them. What a gift and an honor to be able to open up your heart and pour out compassion and love towards someone else.

We all make mistakes, I have made a huge number of mistakes in my life. In my book, the biggest mistake is not trying. God can redeem a lot of mistakes. He can work through us even when we are bumbling along. But He has a hard time working through me if I sit at home, alone, not communicating with the world, frozen by fear of not being capable enough. Someone wiser than me said, God doesn't call the equipped, He equips the called. 

J said another thought is to email or text or tell the person a verse. God's words, how can my words ever top His? I know that through the past seven months, verses sent to me are treasures. This isn't my suggestion, it was J and S.

And while we are on the topic of technology, S said her son emailed her an article suggesting we all go cell phone free for half a day a week. I do that every day, park it in the mud room next to the garage and the kitchen. I check it at lunch and dinner. I don't like it ringing all the time, I can't think when I am interrupted often. But then, maybe I frustrate some people that I am not available all the time. Who knows...

Fear. Fear is on so many people's minds. How often do we search out ways to allay our worry or  fear? Fear seems to come up in conversation often these days.
My sheep, a gift from someone who listens.

I got a wonderful insight in something I read this week... when we are afraid of the future, about how something might turn out or about what will happen, we are not putting Jesus in the picture we see of the future. We should do that. He will be there. Right in the middle of it, whether it is the best case scenario or the worst outcome or somewhere in the middle. He will be there, right with us. With Him next to us, whispering in our ear that He loves us, what do we have to be afraid of? Boy, this changes my way of thinking.

I don't want to live afraid. I want to live trusting God for my future. Trusting that He will guide me in paths of righteousness and He will be a proactive guide that will bring me back to the path when I turn my head and step off. He will be there with me. He is my shepherd.

I want to live trusting that the world is good, that good things await us all. That overflowing love is in everyone's heart, including my own.  Starting with my own.

It's a beautiful day. Today and all my tomorrows.