Monday, November 29, 2010

Santa on the Avenue

The radiation technician calls your name in the waiting room, you get up, go through the door, enter the long hall leading to one of four radiation treatment rooms. Of course you stop to change into a gown before going into treatment. 

She's glancing at papers in a manila folder as you walk down the hall. She says to you casually as you walk down the hall, How are you doing?  I reply, I have a situation.

She stops walking, looks up from the papers, looks at me. It's not bad, I say. One of the dissolvable stitches from my second biopsy in August didn't dissolve, it has wiggled out. It's sticking out about an inch.  It's not a big deal, I thought it was a piece of towel lint on me when I was drying off after a shower yesterday, so I went to pull it off and OUCH! It is hooked onto something inside me. After treatment, the nurse snipped it off. That's the end of that story. Don't you like it when a situation ends easily. Boy, radiation is so much easier than chemo. Muscles and tendons still ache, we think that is from the antibiotic during chemo, and from the chemo itself perhaps. Getting better. 
 
Then to Park Avenue to walk with D and S. We bumped into Santa. D and S have been so loyal, walking with me and then having lunch every two to three weeks this whole time (since June.) Keeping up with me, getting me out moving about. Marching through the year, now hearing about the Thanksgiving holiday. Very upbeat and positive. It takes a village to heal one person....