Monday, November 1, 2010

Life's looking better

Feeling so much better today, physically and emotionally. What a difference one day can make! What makes the difference? Time, immersing myself in positive thoughts while trying to throw the negative ones out the window. Being gentle on myself instead of criticizing myself. Meditation with guided messages (one on healing was good.) Talking with Mike. Listening to last week's sermon online. Playing Angry Birds and Scrabble and Words with Friends. Seeing improvement in Sporty. Getting more sleep.

Halloween evening just made me feel good inside too. Relaxed evening sitting in lawn chairs on the street with neighbors, gathered around a fire pit, eating chili and Peanut M&M's, giving out candy and chatting with the younger neighbors. How fun is that?

Sporty now has a kid's t-shirt, which fits her better and protects the staples and stitches. She was up at 5 AM again this morning with her paw caught in the shirt, but that was before I got a smaller size shirt. Actually she is wearing two t-shirts. Double coverage. I think we will all get a good night's sleep tonight.

Today I had my first yoga session at D's home, it was great! The leader R was incredibly knowledgeable and kind. A relaxing session, I didn't do everything all the way. I want to add some things to my life to help me stay relaxed and in tune with my spirit. Yoga is one. Meditation is another.

I am still tired. It's a different tired than pre-chemo. It's achy and itchy eyes and heavy tired. But my mind isn't tired, which is why it's so difficult to lie down at time. I know I should rest.  I will rest. Gives me a chance to be still, to visualize healing, to let my thoughts wander, and to pray.

Eugene Peterson, translator of The Message, spoke of the Christian life as "a long obedience in the same direction."  I have learned once again, in healing as well as life, this is a marathon not a sprint. This part of healing is SO MUCH EASIER than the physically taxing chemo. I tend to be impatient. I want it done NOW.  Nope Sara, be patient. Take those deep breaths. What is the rush?

I'm in it for the long haul.