Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Lady Di and Joy

Prince William is engaged. He gave Kate his mother's engagement ring.

Any of you who are mid-fifties know exactly what Lady Di's ring looked like, the engagement photo was captivating. A large sapphire surrounded by diamonds, and she was in a royal blue suit with Charles standing behind her.

Then came the wedding - I woke up at 5 AM to watch the magic unfold. I was married and had a baby.  My life was diapers and 2 AM feedings,  her life was a fairy tale.  It was a precursor to today's reality television shows. No internet, television coverage was spotty. ESPN and CNN had just started (remember early ESPN - showing college lacrosse games with one camera shooting). Their wedding was the real life of all those stories where the prince and the princess ride off happily ever after.

Years later we heard about Camilla.  And next we heard about Dodi.

Didn't want to hear the fairy tale was fiction, but it was. So we all accepted it, and marched on with our lives. Loss of innocence as the years passed. Diana became another face we would see in the magazines at the grocery store check-out counters.

Remember where you were when she died, Sunday night of Labor Day weekend in 1997? How did you hear, how did you feel?

I was in Spring Island South Carolina with Mike, Mack, Corey. We walked into the restaurant for breakfast and there was the newspaper with headlines about the crash. I felt devastated.  I was surprised I was speechless over this event. A woman I didn't know, who had a created a life day by day. She had disappointments and hurts, and she had happiness and joy. She lacked for nothing materially. She was beautiful and had two healthy kids. A country adored her. Yet people say she was unhappy.

Who you love and who loves you, those are what count in the long run.

What did I feel seeing the headlines? I was incredulous that she would be dead. She was larger than life, how could she ever ever die, and in a silly car crash?

What do I feel now, thinking back on her?  I feel incredibly lucky.  I am alive.

I have family and friends who I love and who love me.
The things that count,  life and love.

Yes, I am in healing phase for cancer, but I know it is working.

Someone asked me today how do I know I am healing?

I said, I just know. I just know.

Paul in Philippians is all about joy not depending on what is happening to you, but on your goal being Christ. He was in prison when he wrote this book, and yet he talks of joy and contentment.

Joy does not depend on your surroundings.

Joy comes from turning to face God, and accepting His gracious gift of love.

And just knowing...