Sunday, August 8, 2010

Listen and Cooperate


Proverbs 3: 5,6 
Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make your paths straight.

 for this sermon says, God is less interested in what we are doing than in who we are becoming. Mull that one over while you cook dinner tonight.

I used to think that there were lessons I needed to learn in events. You know, why do bad things happen to good people? Why do we fail sometimes? Then it hit me, first of all, not every event (good or bad) is about me. Maybe something happens because God is working in their lives, and I am a bystander. Secondly, I might not be learning a lesson, God might be working on my character, or refining me in a way I will never know. But He knows.

God is interested in who I am, not as much as the actions outside but the love inside.

Discerning God's Will was a question I have asked of people. HOW DO YOU KNOW GOD"S WILL. For me, He gives me peace. Not just that feeling of  "If it feels good, do it", but the peace that settles right into me, into my thoughts, my heart, my spirit. I am settled in my thoughts , in prayer, in going into the Bible. Peace is there.

I ask Mike and I ask friends (who I respect, choose who you ask carefully.)

I read the bible.

I pray.

I ask a minister (on big issues.)

But the absolute way I know a decision is what God wants is, He gives me peace. I feel settled. I think around the issue, and the negatives are not there or fade into the background verses the positives. It makes sense in light of God's strategic plan for me. I don't always have knowledge of God's will right away... but eventually it comes.

Do you start walking, and then hope you are on the right path? Or do you pray, wait until God shows you the path, then start walking? I think it is a little of both. I need to be in line and infused with God's spirit, which takes being still and looking to Him. Then I take that first step. He is so powerful that if I am wrong he will correct me. I don't want to be too still and not do anything for Him. But don't want to be too jumpy and busy and not do what He wants. It is a balance. Isn't that the answer to so many questions....

I am certain that if I choose against God's will, He loves me so much that He will somehow pick me up and put me back on the path He knows is the best one. I am also certain that it will be easier for me if I choose in line with God's will the first time.  A huge incentive to do the work on the front end.

When I know His will, I listen to it, and I try to cooperate with it.
If its not what I want to do, I ask Him to change my heart. And He will. He's awesome, isn't He?